Friday, August 24, 2007

MY FIXED GEAR IS HERE (almost)




Attention World:

I'm 98% done with the work on my fixed gear. I've taped the handlebars and everything. I personally think it looks dead sexy. I almost cried when I first saw it. The chain tension is not bad. There is a tiny centimeter or so of looseness when switching from forward to backwards (I think Ian's was better), but I'm not sure if there's a way to get around that. I think using a 17T cog would be great, but I don't really want to bother with it right now, cause it's already great the way it is.

In any case, the only things I have left are:

-Adjust the brakes.I think the frame is meant for 27" because my brake is like a centimeter short of perfection. The brake wants to rub against the tire which is no good. I need a fix for this.

-Cut the brake cable and find a crimp to crimp the end of it

-Pump the tires to 145psi

-Get a seatpost bolt because I don't have one.

AND THEN ITS DONE. It already looks really sexy. Any help on my brake problems would be appreciated, but I swear I'll post photos soon!

Also, I'm really proud of this because basically nothing has been done by anyone else. I ended up spending like 50 bucks on tools, which I can use in the future, but I installed everything from the bottom bracket to cog to lockring to bar tape to headset. Also I repainted everything. Seriously, satisfaction is sweet even though I'm not 100% done with it.

------
These 145 tires are ridiculous! I can't get a good tube inside, and after about 110psi both just pinch flatted and blew up. Jesus. I'll try again...

12 comments:

Katherine said...

Kangway.... I want pictures! What color scheme did you decide to go with?

Katherine said...

Also:

1) What kind of handlebars did you get?
2) Sounds like you need long reach brake calipers. I think this has to do with the bolt placement on the front of the frame/fork. I needed long reach calipers for my fixed gear, too.
3) What kind of tires did you put on it? What kind of wheels?
4) Awesome job!

Katherine said...

And when I am able to post pictures easily I will post my dummy-proof method for achieving perfect chain tension. I learned it from Ian.

kangway said...

What is the secret for chain tension? It's not bad right now, it's just not perfect. The way it is it seems that if I remove another link it will be too short and just won't fit in the drop outs. I wish I could gear my bike 42-18, that would be perfect.

Katherine said...

Wow! That's totally hot. I love it. Like I said, gimme a few days and I will post you some pictures on the chain tension thing. The frame looks great! Slick. Would you explain the 145 psi thing? That sounds... uncomfortable. I mean, high PSI is good up to a point (reducing rolling R) but when it gets very high, I think it actually reduces efficiency because the road vibrations are transferred to the frame (and your legs, arms, &c making the ride uncomfortable). And are you sure your rims can handle it?

kangway said...

Well, I am stupid. I wasted two great tubes because I accidentally forgot RIM TAPE. I was inflating them up to 110 psi when there was no rim tape, meaning that the tubes were expanding into the little holes for the spokes, which meant that they blew up!!!

In any case, when I find a digital camera it will be great.

I took it out for a slow ride so far, I need to work on getting the brakes going but it feels good! It's very, very racy. The stem is sort of long, and it just feels very aggressive. Much more aggressive than Ian's. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing for a commuter bike.

Ian said...

Kangway, that thing looks awesome. Definitely worth of some glamor shots for Fixed Gear Gallery.

You'll probably have to buy a long-reach brake for the front. Something like this: Tektro 521 long-reach calipers.

To find the reach you need, measure the distance from the brake nut (where it attaches to the fork) to the spot where you want the pad to touch the rim. There are road caliper brakes that reach as much as 70-80mm.

kangway said...

Seriously, my brake is off by about 2mm. I'm considering not spending another 40 bucks and just using a file to file down the brakes to get those 2mm. I think it's worth my time and should work well. I'll tell you how it goes.

I really need to adjust this thing. The stem is really long. It feels so ridiculously aggressive, but the seat right now isn't even at the right level, which means when I raise it up it's going to feel even more aggressive!

I'll try to borrow a digital camera instead of just my cell phone and take some nicer photos. I liked how it turned out.

Ian said...

Yeah, if it's only 2mm you can definitely get away with trimming the pads with a razor blade.

Kiesz said...

looks hot... but i can see the chain slack from here... I can't wait to see some photos

kangway said...

Katherine I really need your secret perfect tension technique. The chain tension is starting to bug me. I really don't like that slack! Help me and post your pictures!

Katherine said...

Here's the link on chain tensioning.